I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how much I miss the 90s and the very early 2000s. Can you believe the 90s ended 16 years ago? It feels like yesterday I was playing outside with my friends instead of holed up in my room on my Macbook (much like I am right now).
- Juicy Couture tracksuits – Nothing like having the word JUICY emblazoned across your ass to make you feel empowered.
- Spaghetti strapped dresses
- Chokers – I actually hated that this trend had come back but I have since succumb to it 😩.
- Jelly Shoes – These have since come back into fashion and I still think they should only be worn by toddlers but I still kinda want a pair.
- Baby G watches – ‘Nuff said.
- Hoop earrings – The bigger the hoop, the bigger the halo…
- Mean Girls – The highlight of LiLo’s career and a cult movie, I could watch this year after year on October 3rd (1,000 points to you if get the reference) and not get bored.
- Save the Last Dance – I’m probably gonna get moaned at for this but I’m pretty sure that this was my generation’s answer to Dirty Dancing.
- Home Alone 1 & 2 – The true meaning of Christmas is being alone obviously.
- Jurassic Park – I still think the animatronics are still better than some of the CGI around today…
- Kenan and Kel – WHO LOVES ORANGE SODA?
- The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
- The Simpsons – The real golden era was the late 90s, I find it a little too ‘Family Guy’ now.
- The Proud Family
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? – The reason I LOVE horror movies now.
- The Ali G Show – Aiiiiiii…
- Trigger Happy TV – This should was a classic, you’d never get away with making this show now due to the digital age and the prominence of smartphones. Are we overexposed?
- Malcolm in the Middle
Hair and Beauty
- Pencil thin eyebrows – *voms*
- Powder blue eyeshadow – 2016 Char wouldn’t even dream of wearing this unless it’s blended out...
- Crimping – Put your hand up if you remember begging your mum to buy you a crimper or agonisingly plaiting your hair before bed to get those weird waves the next day?
- The ‘Croydon facelift’ – You know, literally scraping your hair back into a ponytail to give you a temporary eye-lift? Thankfully now we can mimic this ‘look’ with contouring...
￼I thought I’d save the best topic until last… wasn’t music so much better in the 90s and the early 2000s?
Girl groups, boy groups, rap, grunge, hip hop, rock, there was something for everyone. My music genre of choice has and will always be pop and R&B. I miss the award shows, the celebrity shenanigans and the raw talent all my favourite artists possessed. Will it ever be the same?