The rise of women and self-love
The new trend that has emerged, all about self-love and self-appreciation of women, by women has finally taken off and is becoming a global success. It is the rise of the self-love ring; some women are even taking it as far as marrying themselves and others are in a relationship referred to as ‘sologamy’. Alongside Angelic Diamonds, retailers of round engagement rings, we take a closer look at the trend and how women are showing off their independence.
When did this trend start?
Popularity began to escalate for the self-love ring throughout 2016, with as many women turning to jewellery stores in order to make a commitment to themselves. It’s unknown what exactly what drove the trend, as women have been preaching self-appreciation for many years! But it could be down to a combination of these things:
- It is clear that celebrities are responsible for helping to encourage self-love and empowerment amongst women. Many famous figures use their platform in order to inspire women and encourage self-love and for them to be confident in themselves. Celebrities have often talked about their tough times growing up and how they’ve learnt to appreciate themselves. Others have encouraged magazines and photographers to not edit their photos so that women can see that their bodies are not in fact flawless.
- Social media platforms such as Snapchat and Instagram have contributed towards encouraging women to love and treat themselves. Although at times Instagram can seem to only be filled with filtered beach bodies on our news feed which isn’t always great, there have been many women who have posted photos of their natural selves too and persuaded others to do the same. For example, there was a trend which involved ‘No Make-up Selfies’ — a photo of yourself without make-up. Many celebrities participated in this and told women to love their natural selves! The selfie culture in general pushes women to appreciate their bodies, as they post photos of themselves and receive ‘likes’ and comments from their friends and family.
- There has also been a vast increase in participants of meditation and mindfulness which is reportedly very effective in terms understanding self-love through increased happiness. Taking time out of the day to be present within yourself has shown that it can reduce stress, depression and anxiety and experts encourage people to take time out of their day to focus on Meditation interlinks with self-love as it focuses on taking time out of the day to concentrate on yourself.
Self-love rings- A new hot trend
The new trend of self-love rings is seen as a means of representing your commitment to yourself and proving that you’ll put yourself first and focus solely on your own health and well-being. Self-love rings are purchased with intent that you will wear them on your little finger — to represent a ‘pinky promise’ to yourself. Some jewellers offered specific ‘pinky’ rings but they can be bought as a smaller regular engagement ring.
It is also very common for females to purchase self-love rings alongside their best friends to focus on the importance of friendship. It usually involves them making a pledge that they’ll both love themselves. It has also been said that those who practise self-love and you begin to love yourself, you change the way that you act and this can positively affect your relationships.
Making the decision to marry yourself
It is believed that the first sologamous wedding occurred in 1993, when an American woman called Linda Barker married herself in front of her close friends. However, it is believed that self-marriage is a lot more common today.
Marrying yourself is seen by a lot of women as a celebration rather than a legal process, as you can’t divorce yourself, claim legal fees and your marital status won’t change. You can choose to take vows. It appears as though it is more women who are taking part in this than men, possibly as a protest against the pressures that they often feel to be in a relationship.
Women who have taken part in self-marriage have commented saying:
- Vows were taken as a commitment to the health, well-being, and happiness of oneself.
- The ceremony was a deep act of self-acceptance, saying your commitments out loud in front of friends and family who witnessed them.
The ceremonies are not just for single women either. Some women who have gone through the ceremony have partners and husbands, but this day was all about them! A company has been created on the back of these ceremonies called I Married Me — it offers wedding supplies to one-person ceremonies.
However, there are many other ways to demonstrate loving yourself, it does not have to come in the form of a ring. You may decide to treat yourself to some new clothing that you’ve been wanting for a while, or choose to have a spa day or just invest some time into you!
Please note, this is a collaborative guest post.